• kenburns6
    Subsidence insurance
    without the headache
    Or call us on 0333 305 8474
    1 minute to get your quick quote
    5 minutes to complete your application
    365 days of five star service

Subsidence insurance:

Alternative accommodation cover

Discount for combined buildings and contents cover

Up to £500,000 rebuild cover under Buildings insurance

UK customer support team

Subsidence occurs when the ground under your home sinks lower, taking some of your foundations with it. Cracks appear in your building as one side moves away from the rest of the structure. Subsidence is usually covered by home insurance, but many insurers do not want to cover properties that have previously suffered from subsidence in the past. PolicyCastle’s panel of insurers wants to protect specialist risks, and can cover homes that have had subsidence. 

It is important that you provide the right details about your property so that we can help you find the right cover.

Signs of Subsidence

Not all cracks are caused by subsidence, they may be caused by temperature changes causing walls to shrink or expand, and in new homes the structure may take a while to settle. Signs that cracks may be caused by subsidence include: 

Cracks more than 3mm
Cracks that are diagonal, and wider at the top than the bottom
Cracks that are visible on the plaster inside and the brickwork outside
Cracks near doors or windows
Cracks where an extension joins the house
Other signs that subsidence may be occurring are wallpaper crinkling and doors and windows sticking

If you think your home is subsiding, don’t ignore the problem. Contact your insurer and they will arrange for a survey. The problem may be monitored to try to find out the cause and how fast it is happening. Usually the cause of the problem will be found and removed; some situations will require foundations to be strengthened.


How to deal with subsidence


The solution to subsidence depends on what is causing it. There are a number of potential causes: 

Hot temperatures and / or drought causing soil to dry out and shift
Roots of trees and shrubs extending under your property as they search for water
Shallow foundations under older homes
Leaking drains and water mains washing soil away
Local mining, or instability in nearby former mining or quarry sites.

You can’t prevent hot temperatures or drought, but you can avoid planting trees and shrubs too close to your building. If trees and shrubs are already planted close to your home, then it may be worthwhile pruning them to reduce the amount of water they require. A tree surgeon would be able to help you. 

Maintain your drains and pipes to avoid leaks that might wash away soil. 

Want to learn more?

If you would like further information regarding the PolicyCastle subsidence home insurance, please fill in your details below and a member of our team will be in contact.

*We look forward to hearing from you.

Trustpilot testimonials for PolicyCastle

“Great website. Everything I needed and a quick quote I was happy with- great to see how the quote changed when i added information. And pleased with the level of cover.”

C Coughlan

“Really pleased with the service. Easy to use.”


“Very pleased with the help I got online and on the phone. Very clear”


Spot the signs of damage inside your home

You need to be able to spot signs of damage to your home as soon as possible, before it becomes a big problem.


The building bricks, how to be covered whilst works are in progress

Looking to do some improvements or renovations to your property? Whether the works require you to vacate your property or not, always advise your insurer prior to the works beginning. Be prepared to have a Schedule of Works to hand, showing full details of the works to be carried out.


Victim of burglary? What should you do?

Hopefully your home will never be burgled. It is a horrible experience, and expensive; the average cost of a burglary in the UK, including damage to property and stolen property, is well over £2,000.


Insure the rebuild value of your home, not the market value

Do you insure your home for its market value? If so you may be paying too much premium because it’s the rebuilding cost which should be the amount you insure.